Freedom of Speech and assembly
These two priceless pillars of our constitutional liberty are under attack. Here’s the way they are being undermined, the melee in Charlottesville being a good case study.
1. The Organizers applied for a permit to have their rally. They were initially denied a permit, but then were granted one after an appeal to a Federal Court.
2. The rally began with the marchers lined up to proceed to Lee Park, a city block turned into a park with a statue of Robert E Lee in the middle thereof.
3. Hostile mobs of Antifa, BLM and other left-wing groups, bussed in from New York and elsewhere, surrounded and pelted the marchers with all manner projectiles, dangerous and disgusting. Anticipating this, the marchers had shields, and formed a surroundng phalanx to protect themselves.
4. After 40 minutes, heavily armed police formed up behind the marchers and announced by bullhorn that the march was “an unlawful assembly and commanded the marchers to disperse”. The marchers found themselves caught between the police and the hostile mobs. As the marchers tried to disperse and leave the park for a safe zone, the mob charged and a melee ensued.
5. The mainstream press and the Democratic Governor and Mayor immediately blamed the violence on the marchers and on President Trump.
6. The call went forth to ban “hate groups” from having rallies and making speeches “because of the hate and violence of the white supremacists”.
1. The marchers had a permit and the Constitutional right to free speech and assembly, even though their points of view some may consider marginal.
2. The violence was caused not by the marchers, but by the Democratic Mayor giving the police the “stand down” order that allowed the mob of ANTIFA and BLM thugs to attack with impunity!
3. The oath that elected officials and police officers take is to uphold the Constitution, NOT merely to “keep the peace”. They had an obligation to protect the marchers’ exercise of their Constitutional rights by keeping the groups separated, not by being a blocking force that forced the groups together making a violent melee inevitable.
4. Bussing in large numbers of ANTIFA activists takes money and logistic planning. Whoever is doing it needs to be exposed and stopped.
1. If our society is to NOT lapse into civil war, we must keep in mind our Constitutional rights.
2. If we agree that “Fascists must not be allowed to speak”, then it won’t be long before the Progressives will apply this to Republicans, white people, Christians or anyone else on their enemy’s list du jour.
3. There IS ALWAYS more than one point of view! Joe Biden’s remarks that there is “only one side” it typical of the Progressive moralistic tone. The trouble with the moralist is that the “I’m right and you’re evil” conviction shuts down any rational discussion of the issue.